Radio News 101:
- Speak conversationally and use an active voice. Unlike print, using second person (you) is okay. Use “says” instead of “said.”
- Have a solid lead to the story. Spend time on this.
- Soundbites should be short. Three to 10 seconds.
- Tracking: stand-up while speaking. Speak from your stomach and don’t get pitchy. Pretend like you’re speaking to people at a conference table.
- Use natural sound when possible. Example: Wall Street bell for a market story.
Scripting: Lincoln Tech Script
Questions to ask:
Do I want to use music and why?
Am I asking for a call of action or for awareness?
What are my soudbites (natural sound) and SOTs going to be?
What is the “feeling” I’m trying to achieve?
Script either a 30-second news story or PSA.
BRING EARPHONES TO CLASS