- Vantage points
- Close, medium, wide shots (variety)
- Framing, rule of thirds, natural sound
- Short, active, declarative sentences. Avoid asking questions.
Example: And who will be going to the ceremony? None other than Joe Smith, who founded the organization over 30 years ago.
— Joe Smith founded the organization over 30 years ago and will be attending this year’s ceremony. —
- In the present tense and conversational. No third person.
- Catchy lead.
Example: West Hartford may not have the Hollywood sign, but it does have lights, cameras, and action going on inside what was once a Friendly’s restaurant in the town’s center.
- Stand-up (if used) should be the bridge of the story.
- Pointed, but usually based in fact.
- Very visual. Often uses analogies.
- Short period of time to explain a complex issue.
- Plays to the senses (or feelings).