– Leave headroom and nose room. However, you can cut off the top of the head in “news style” interviews.
– Shoot the first button of their “shirt.”
– See both of their eyes.
– Have the light source to your back.
– Shoot at eye level or a couple of inches above (if possible).
– Check sound levels by having the interviewee say their first and last name and have them spell it for the titles.
– Have the interviewee plant their feet. Avoid having them rock or move out of frame.
– Don’t speak while they are talking. Nod and smile. Wait a few seconds after they have stopped talking before you ask your next question.
– It’s okay to ask the same question in a different way if you believe the interviewee did not really answer what you asked of them or if they did something in the first answer that makes the footage unusable.