The Hartford Courant isseeking a talented and energetic videographer. This person will contribute to the development of concepts/storyboarding and shoot/edit all video projects, carrying them from start to finish. This person is a self-starter who also works best collaborating with a small team.
- To shoot, edit and transmit multiple videos each day from the field.
- To shoot and transmit still photographs suitable for use on our websites or print when asked and/or when appropriate.
- To give the Hartford Courant a competitive advantage by transmitting videos from the field more quickly than our competitors.
- To contribute to the newsgathering operation by developing sources, gathering information, conducting interviews and writing short stories, when needed.
- To demonstrate a strong proficiency with mobile tools for video storytelling and explore innovative approaches for multimedia.
- To be proactive in seeking guidance and visual direction throughout the day. To bring problems that arise on assignment or in the daily workflow to the attention of managers.
- To foster a healthy group dynamic and participate in group critiques and training sessions.
- To assure the community’s diverse demographic is reflected in the pages of the Hartford Courant and courant.com.
- To promote Hartford Courant content through the use of social media when and how appropriate.
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably a communications field, or equivalent related experience.
- At least 2 years experience in video journalism for a medium- or large- circulation daily newspaper, TV station or website.
- The ability to interpret and accurately communicate news, feature and sports situations through video under tight deadlines.
- Ability to contribute to the news report from a news scene by providing detailed information to editors, reporters and readers.
- Demonstrated expertise in mobile phone and tablet technologies and a working knowledge of mobile applications for video editing and remote transmitting such as iMovie.
- Expertise in video editing software, including Final Cut Pro and/or Final Cut Pro X, Photoshop, PhotoMechanic. A knowledge of the use of motion graphics software such as Adobe After Effects or Apple Motion is desirable.
- The ability to move about without restriction at a newsgathering site. The ability to observe situations or persons without restriction, up close and far away.
- An understanding of libel, access, privacy and copyright laws affecting photojournalism.
- The flexibility to be available to work mornings, days, nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to drive to newsgathering sites and to travel by airplane to out-of-town assignments, often on a moment’s notice.