Everyday Democracy is seeking someone interested in helping to spread the word about people changing their communities and being part of an organization where we pay special attention to the connection between racial equity and the issues communities face.
Working in a flexible and creative environment, the fellow will have opportunities sharpen their communications skills during the one-year term. The Communications Fellow will report to the Communications Manager and will be a critical support person to the communications team.
During the fellowship, there will be opportunities to work with other internal teams on local and national initiatives. When possible, the fellow will have the opportunity to visit local communities to collect stories and see change happen on the ground. However, majority of the work will be done behind-the-scenes creating stories, evaluating our communication tools, and developing marketing plans with the communications team.
RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assisting in the production of our monthly newsletter
- Evaluating our communication tools, including collecting data and writing evaluation reports
- Conducting website updates and maintenance
- Transcribing videos and podcasts
- Producing podcasts and/or video stories
- Researching, interviewing, and drafting written community stories
- Assisting in the management of one or more social media profiles
- Formatting handouts and reports for external use
- Working with staff members to create PowerPoints for their presentations
- Assisting the communications team with various administrative tasks
- Strong written, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Organized, creative thinker
- An open mind and willingness to learn
- A sharp attention to detail
- Ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously and independently
- Ability to learn programs and processes quickly
- Willingness to take initiative on projects, self-starter
- An intermediate-advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Bachelor’s degree in any area or two years of experience in marketing/communications
This position has both an analytical and creative component, and the ideal candidate would have strong skills and/or experience in both areas.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS DESIRED:
- Copy editing
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Familiarity with content management systems, especially Drupal
- Experience working with Google Analytics
- Experience using email programs, especially MailChimp
- Experience using Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest for organizations
- Graphic design
- Basic photography and/or videography
- Video editing, especially using Adobe Premiere Elements
- Audio editing or podcast creation, especially using Audacity
- Conversational and/or written translation skills in Spanish
Having one or more of these skills or experience is not required to apply, but is a plus since the fellow will likely use most of these skills in this position. The ability to learn new programs and skills quickly is essential because of the wide range of ever-changing tools used in online communications.