Feature Writing for Digital Stories:
– Be objective. You are the narrator, not the main character.
– Write in third person. Do not use: I, you, we, our, etc.
– Write a lead that hooks the reader. Should be one sentence.
– Use quotes and attribute them. Start the sentence with the quote and then use said. Example: “This challenge is the real deal,” Chiara said.
– Hyperlink if possible. Especially, if it will clear up confusion or gives more context.
– Use pull quotes. Don’t use too many, but used sparingly, they can be effective in emphasizing key points.
– Use captions with your pictures. It will help the reader understand why that particular photo is significant to the story. It also helps with SEO.
– Check for spelling and grammar. Edit in layers.
Example of a feature story